A LIST OF THINGS KIDS CAN DO INSIDE WHEN THE WEATHER SUCKS
Trying to keep kids busy and entertained when the weather sucks, especially during those long winter months, can be difficult.
I think I reached my breaking point this week with all the rain we got. Hello Spring! Move out the way. It’s summer dammit! Winter already overstayed it’s welcome. My kids just want to use their pool. And as for me, I just want my kids to be able to enjoy outside time without me dreading the thought of them tracking mud in the house when it’s time to go inside. They were tired of Legos, board games, video games and television somewhere around day three and I was out of alternate ideas by day three and a half.
So I grabbed my phone and google searched “indoor activities for kids.” Of course 100+ things popped up but I compiled that list into the top 5 categories that I have tried with my kids that was actually a success.
If you are having a hard time making time to play with your children because you are too busy, Read my article: How to be a playful parent when you’re too busy.
1.FOOD RELATED ACTIVITIES
- Make pizza as a family. Set up a bar of toppings and go to town.
- Bake and decorate cookies. Or buy store bought cookies to decorate. Set up sprinkles, frosting and other topping that they can decorate with.
- Make smore’s over a fireplace or a candle.
- Bake and decorate cake or cupcakes.
2. ART’S AND CRAFTS
- Create art with crayons, paint, markers, etc, then hold an art show complete with hor d’oeuvres.
- Finger paint. For younger kids, put finger paint inside a ziplock bag and let them blend the colors (for less mess). Be sure to seal the bag with duct tape.
- Make a scrapbook or vision boards. Allow kids to cut out pictures and letters from magazines or newspapers.
- Make their own bracelets and/or other jewelry.
- Paint rocks.
- Create sculptures with play-doh.
read more after the ads
- Allow your kids to put together an outfit and put on a family fashion show.
- Get the kids to put on a play. Fairy tales make a great place to start.
- Hold a lip sync concert. If you’re up to hear their voices, definitely go for Karaoke
- Dance competitions or dance-offs.
- Charades (our favorite is animal charades)
- Board games. (Believe it or not, my little ones actually found quite the enjoyment from Jenga.)
- Do a puzzle together.
- Card games like gold fish and UNO.
- Create an indoor scavenger hunt for the kids.
read more after the ads
- Do a science experiment with baking soda.
- Build with marshmallows and toothpicks.
- Make a lava lamp.
- Make weather in a jar.
- Make Slime.
And there you have it: A list of things to do with your kids when the weather sucks! Do you have any other suggestions for fun activities to do with your kids when the weather sucks? Let me know in the comments!
Need even more ideas? Check out my Activities board on Pinterest: