8 BENEFITS OF GARDENING WITH KIDS
It’s one thing to believe nature is good for your kids and another thing to establish habits that put the belief into practice. This is where gardening for kids comes in. Gardening has many benefits but I am going to focus on 8 of them.
As outdoor activities go, gardening is the best activity to keep your little ones well-rounded. Whether the garden is in pots on an apartment balcony, a community patch or right out the back door, kids who engage with it are harvesting a whole lot more than food and flowers.
Read on for some data-driven reasons to get your kids out in the garden.
Benefits of Gardening:
1. TEACHES PATIENCE: Kids practice patience while the plants are going through the growing process.
2. TEACHES RESPONSIBILITY: Children will need to remember to water their plants.
3. ENGAGES ALL THE SENSES: Kids engage with all the senses through smelling the plants, tasting the plants, feeling the soil, observing the growth, and etc.
4. PROMOTES FAMILY BONDING: This is a great way to bond with the kids while keeping the engagement the whole way through.
5. INTRODUCES SCIENTIFIC METHODS: Kids will be able to understand how things grow, how much water/ sunlight the plant needs to grow, etc.
6. ENHANCES FINE MOTOR SKILLS: Kids enhance their fine motor skills by picking up tiny little seeds and pulling up weeds.
7. PROMOTES HEALTHY EATING: Kids will be more willing and excited to eat fruits and vegetables that they grew themselves.